Tuesday 9 October 2007

Fat Bird Kit - Gadgets, Clothes and Stuff

Thought I should do some more targetted blogs in amongst the "cycled to work again" ones to keep it more reader friendly!

So, the new series is Fat Bird Kit. Things that make my activity/exercise objectives easier to achieve or more fun or less annoying.

And the first item is my Garmin Forerunner 305. Until a couple of weeks ago I didn't feel I should blog about it as I was still working for Garmin - but I am now otherwise employed!

It's a GPS enabled watch thing that also acts as a heart rate monitor. I know exactly how far I've run (within 12m accuracy), how fast I'm running, ascent, and timings. It was so useful when running the Beaulieu 10K as it meant I could pace myself properly - always tricky with a race. It's been great when running in different areas - e.g. on hols in Lefkas and in Torquay. I can look at my routes afterwards & see where I was fast/slow compared to the last time I ran that route. I can compare my training routes to race routes.
It also acts as a reasonable cycle computer and has settings for cycling (but no separate off road options).

Just worked out how to use some additonal web stuff to show my routes on Google Earth.

Plenty of downsides - it can take forever to find satellites - one trick is to switch on & leave by a window or on your car dashboard whilst you are driving to your starting point or getting changed. Calorie counting feature is not 100% as it doesn't seem to allow for efficiency differences (e.g. no setting for cycling off road vs on road). It's nearly useless for navigation. And it's pricey!

But I'm sufficiently addicted to have had trauma when I misplaced it for a few months. Garmin have just launched a new Forerunner - cheaper non GPS enabled - but I love being able to look at my routes so won't be switching. My Forerunner enables me to feel that I'm achieving something when I run or cycle - which keeps me motivated.

No comments: