Tuesday 23 October 2007

Fat Bird Essential Kit Part 3 - Commuting Bike Bag

Today is day 2 of using my new commuting bike bag - a messenger type satchel.




It's better than the one I was using as the strap goes tighter - so I can "wear" the strap across my chest, keeping the bag's bulk tight to my back. This means I'm not thrown off balance by my bag swinging around whenever I stop. It's also more comfortable as the weight's distributed over more of my torso.

Benefit over a rucksack is stuff-ability - it's easier to throw all the rubbish I take to work in & get at it easily when I get there.


Other nice-to-have features include:

  • Waterproof.
  • Single handed seatbelt type catch to loosen/tighten the front strap - operational with gloves on.
  • Reflective strip.
  • Looks cool, coordinates with my orange windproof top layer.
Downsides - yup, there are some:
  • All the pockets are within the main bag. This means that all the contents are exposed whenever I get out my lock - including my clean clothes. The pockets also make it difficult to isolate my clothes from the lock/pump/shoes.
  • Less incentive to pack light.
  • Easier to lose my keys!

So new bag is now stuffed full of trainers/jeans/t-shirt/deodrant/hairbrush/socks/shower gel/mobile/purse and is adorned with its own flashing light.

No comments: