Saturday 1 November 2008

Fat Bird’s Guide to Exercise – Cycling to work in Winter

Now the clocks have changed, I think it's time to ponder the joys of commuting on a bike in winter. I managed quite a few days last winter, but I want to up my cycling this year - an added incentive is that on Mon & Tue, I have to park over a mile off site & be bussed in - not my idea of fun on a Monday morning.

But enough whining!

On a crisp, sunny winter morning, pedalling is difficult to beat. And given the extra traffic, there's even more benefit to getting out of a car & onto a bike. Having the right kit makes a big difference to comfort - and as with summer, it's a great way to integrate more exercise into a daily routine.

I find that I have to take more care & kill my speed in quite a few places - the cycle path through the golf course is a bit lethal with wet leaves - a pity as it's the fastest downhill stretch. I m very grateful to Eastleigh Borough Council for putting a less slip surface on the very slippery wooden bridge over the stream at Fleming Park - a tumble there a few years ago meant 2 months of physio....

Have I done it?
Yup and planning on cycling most days this winter.
Sociability?
Unity in adversity against the elements and the recognition that we've lost the fairweather cyclists seems to elicit more smiles & acknowledgements in the bike shed than in summer!
Convenience?
3/5 – As I mentioned in summer, I have a workplace within easy cycling distance. I also live in one of the sunniest parts of the UK that rarely gets snow. But even with all of that, winter cycling is higher hassle - more kit, more wear & tear on bike, more challenges.
Calories per 5 mins:
50 for me. However, as it replaces a drive, dividing total calories by the extra time spent getting changed etc makes it a 200 calories per 5 minutes result. I'm sure the count goes up in winter given that keeping your body warm must use cals!
Fun Factor?
5/5 on a sunny day in the light. Goes down a bit in the dark & when pouring with rain.
Pros:

Stress relief
Sheer bloody minded smugness when walking into the office - you've now really demonstrated that
you are saving the planet single handed & look lean & buff to boot - well something like that!
Fewer loitering yoofs to pass than in summer.
Shorter queues for the shower at work - which now acts primarily to warm me up!
Cons:

Drivers are even less likely to spot you.
Extendable dog leads - esp when wielded by an owner engrossed in a mobile phone call.
Leaves - slippery when wet.
Cycle paths aren't gritted!
Winter clothes - esp boots - are heavier to carry.
Salt & crud will do mean things to your bike, making maintenance a must. Husband is great at this!

Kit:
See the summer guide for basics. In addition:
  • Lights - "Light up, light up - as if you have a choice" - Snow Patrol. You can't have too many lights & they can never be too bright. I've invested in a powerful little rechargeble LED number this year as my main dog-lead avoidance tool. I've kept the old front light on as a flashing "look at me, don't run me over" backup. On the back, I have a constant light under my saddle & a flashing LED by the chain. I think the lights are now worth more than the bike....
  • Reflective bits on clothes/bags and bands - when you see a cyclist covered in these in the dark, you realise just how effective these are in increasing visibility to drivers.
  • Good warm gloves are the difference between getting to work and enjoying the ride!
  • Glasses - clear or yellow lenses, nice & big to keep cold winds out of your eyes as well as crud/eye interface prevention.
  • Layers seem to be the answer to being warm without overheating. I'm currently sporting thermal cycling tights, breathable t-shirt as a base layer, long sleeved jersey & my waterproof - primarily as a wind stopper.
  • Buffs provide much appreciated ear tip warmth! I have heard of using a shower cap in the rain over a helmet but I haven't tried this yet.
  • Waterproof bag or panniers so you can change into dry stuff at work.
Other Cyclists:
G is heroically continuing - I'm impressed as she is so not into cold.
C is also carrying on with her much more substantial commute than mine - and Kitty continues to brave her scary route a couple of times a week. Goldfish is still using his single speeder.

Resources:
Your employer –I'm so appreciating the towels & showers now!
Kit - wiggle, chain reaction, minx, girls run too, she active, venus sports, evans cycles

Big Mac Index: 50 minutes

2 comments:

Lyn said...

hey hey... happen to chance upon your blog and got myself excited reading your past entries on healthy lifestyle esp the last one - cycling, which is something i'm currently doing with my bf. let's work hard and achieve our goal soon. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Lyn! I can't imagine that winter cycling is much of an issue in Singapore - I'm jealous of your weather!