Sunday 9 November 2008

Making Progress with Running Project

I've just done the Fitness in Running & Walking coaching course with UK Athletics - another step towards my Women's Running Network Eastleigh Group off the ground. And I think I've got the venue sorted.

The coaching course was in Swindon & the tutor was one of the founders of WRN - who's a sports therapist. Very knowledgeable, very supportive. I was surprised that about half of the 11 participants were personal trainers or other fitness professionals, but apparently setting up a running group is becoming a popular addition to portfolios. 2 other WRN women - it was great to hear how their groups are going.

The area I probably got the most from was depth on warming up - ways of specifically getting more mobility into the key muscle areas was really interesting. More depth on stretching too - tips on technique and I learned a great new stretch for IBTs - very useful for me as this will help with my damaged knee. Lots of discussion and ideas on how to work with mixed ability groups so that all individual participants enjoy it and get a good workout. I think I'll be able to deliver more structured sessions with a higher level of confidence now.

We've been advised to wait before progressing to level 2 as a new road running course is to launch imminently as opposed to the current endurance athletics option (where the longest event is a 3000m steeplechase - not quite the same territory as a 10K). Only other downside of the course was the venue - it was locked up & we spent the first 45 mins standing in a freezing carpark waiting for a caretaker who never materialised. Fortuneately, adjacent Swindon FC were able to provide us with their boardroom for the day!

I have a venue too - I think! The Hub is a new-ish sports centre close-ish to home. It has parking, lighting, loo and some additional facilities that will be useful from time to time (lovely bar, studio, sports hall, big sports field that will be great for fun games in summer).

Next steps - paperwork, firm up on the Hub & then get advertising underway.

Some exercise today as part of the course - 24mins of running and a little race walking! Apart from cycling, no other exercise since Wed. I had a work dinner on Thursday & fireworks party on Friday. Lots of packing boxes yesterday preparing for builders.

No comments: