Saturday 7 February 2009

Crunching through ice & snow

"Snow Bikes" was Husband's response to my suggestion that we cycle today. The snow is pretty much gone from Eastleigh, but we figured there'd still be some around. As there's been so much snow, we opted for the Burley/Brockenhusrt circuit in the Forest - the tracks are weather proof & drain quickly.

Starting on the old railwayline, we crunched our way through icy puddles, with enough liquid water to drench our legs & feel grateful for sealskinz socks (my toes still froze though). It was just a little warmer in Brockenhurst - so much so that there was no snow visible & all puddles were ice free. As we climbed Bolderwood Drive, the temperature dropped - and more snow left. Turning onto the forest track, we worked our way through fairly chunky patches of snow. I was nervous - I don't even drive through snow... Remembered the "control roll control" adage & used the patches where there was a little gravel visible to keep my speed right down & focused on my line - weirdly exhausting! Had a puncture just before we reached the final stretch of road.

Back home, both of us felt much more worked than we have done in the past on this route. Heavy going on the muddy bits & not being able to fly down hills as we were having to negotiate the snow both meant more exertion overall. We went into "must eat carbs" mode!

Cycling home yesterday was great as it wasn't completely pitch black - roll on summer.

I feel so much better than I did on Thursday evening! CV is much better for my happiness than resistance.

No comments: