Monday 20 October 2008

Ride of 2 halves - and barbed wire

I have to confess that I let C down badly - she requested a non-strenuous ride and I deliverd a route of 37.3k, ascent 536m..... In my defence, it was very much a ride of 2 halves - the first half took 2 hours, the second 25mins! This was because part one was a mix of bridleways and lanes - the former being pretty muddy and included a walk up Old Winchester Hill (steps at start & very narrow single track meant we couldn't get any momentum to climb the steep gradient). Second half was a whizz down the disused railway that runs down the Meon Valley.

Other hold-ups in part one were a huge puncture for Husband (new tyre time) and a barbed wire/arm interface issue for me - my wounds are pictured here! I was very impressed with the spray on plaster Husband applied - the lower cut was deep enough to be able to see the fat layer (very yuck) but the plaster knitted it together very well. Accident was all my fault - I tried to power over a hummock that I could have cruised over if I'd opted instead for a high cadence/lower gear approach - toppled over onto wire. My lovely paramo top was not too badly torn - just a small hole.

I'm hoping that C recovered OK - I hadn't realised how uncomfortable shoulder problems are making her atm, so I am feeling guilty. She did say how good it was to be out in the countryside - weather was pretty good and we had lots of sunshine through woodland views. The exercise and fresh air helped me to cheer up - I'm letting stuff get on top of me at present. Husband's been incredibly supportive - which helps.

Went to the gym with Husband on Friday night where I continued with a non running mix of x trainer, stepper and weights. I had a good digging session on Saturday working over a bed.

Got very wet cycling home tonight & I must sort out my new bike light - struggled to see anything much on the way home! I had to take the path across the golf course at a sedentary pace - wet surface, dark & lots of slippery slidey leaves.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

Now you know why I hate barbed wire and slow down so much without realising it! Sorry to hear about your injuries.