Saturday 18 October 2008

Fat Bird’s Guide to Exercise – Stretching

A bit like flossing – I know I should do it, but often don’t! I blame my irrational dislike of yoga – indeed of any exercise that isn’t endorphin generating CV!

I’ve been going through my exercise books this evening reading up on stretching – and the benefits look hard to define. I’d been told that as muscles shorten during exercise, stretching them afterwards would help the muscles lengthen and recover to a resting state – preventing injury & helping to build performance. “Running Well” – Sam Murphy & Sarah Connors – links stretching to building flexibility which leads to avoiding injury & better performance – but it’s a mixed picture!

Both this book and the WRN course I did advise against stretching before exercise as stretching cold muscles can lead to problems – and there is some evidence that it detracts from muscle power during exercise. Better to warm up properly. But my fave running book "Running made easy" - Susie Whalley & Lisa Jackson - advocates stretching before - arrggghhhh.

Anyway, I’m great at stretching after the gym & running – but for some reason, don’t always after mountain biking. My one criticism of Body Combat is that the choreographed stretching track isn't sufficient as you hold the stretch for only a few seconds - when stretching alone, I do try to ensure I hold each one for approx 20 seconds - this could do with being longer.

My stretch regime (and I know that this isn’t comprehensive!):
· Calf stretch – my calves often feel tight after running
· Hamstring stretch
· Quad stretch (esp after cycling)
· Hip flexor stretch
· Bicep & tricep stretch
· Chest & back stretch

Have I done it?
Yes – but not always as conscientiously as I should!
Sociability?
2/5 –it’s possible to stretch and chat.
Convenience?
4/5 – No excuse not to as no equipment or special kit’s required. And they aren’t difficult.
Calories per 5 mins:
NA
Fun Factor?
2/5 – kind of satisfying after hard exercise

Pros:
· It might prevent injury and improve performance!
· Quick, straightforward, not too many to master and they transfer well between types of exercise.
Cons:
· Getting stretches right is important – as is holding them for long enough to benefit.
· My one criticism of Body Combat is that I don’t find the stretching section sufficient – I end up doing more at home.
· I feel self conscious sometimes stretching al fresco - esp as my flexibiltiy is dreadful so trying to get into the right position (esp for quad stretches) isn't always an elegant process!

Kit:
· Loose fitting clothes or exercise gear
· A wall
Other Stretchers
· My Fabulous Mother-in-law is a yoga addict – which seems to have paid impressive dividends with her fitness and flexibility.

Resources:
· Runners World magazine - lots of detailed advice & new ideas.

· “Running Well” – Sam Murphy & Sarah Connors – great reference on muscles, injuries and stretching.

· “The Exercise Bible” – Joanna Hall – good chapter on stretching

· BBC Sport academy

No comments: