Sunday 15 March 2009

Spring is sprung - great ride & some history

35km ride today with Husband, C and Goldfish and it feels like spring now. Glorious sunshine, blossom, lambs, new shoots.... C made a great suggestion to base the ride around the Test Way - one of my favourite spots in Hampshire. Most of the ride was easy going apart from a slog up Broughton Down followed by the scary descent down Whiteshute Hill which I'm now convinced I will never accomplish. C is so much faster - her cycling to work has paid dividends. Husband managed a somersault towards the end when his front wheel found a hidden tree stump - he was OK as was bike. And I was impressed with Goldfish navigating!

I spent yesterday at Baby Sister's, fulfilling a promise to give her a hand sorting out her back garden. It's a lovely spot in the Chilterns with views of woodland and pasture - and I'm hoping that a turfed back garden will be fun for my niece and nephew this summer.

Gym on Friday and I did the Eastleigh 10K route with X and S on Wed - both of them did brilliantly.

Great blog post from Kitty - I'm impressed with the trampolining in particular! My list of sporting awards from school is very short - non existent in fact. I was the girl who was last to be picked for all team games - although I loathed individual activities more as I couldn't meld into the background! Tennis and dancing were my least favourite. Hockey was kind of OK. Like most of my friends, my bike was my ticket to freedom - my first holiday sans parents was at 15 youth hostelling with a friend in the Cotswolds. I loved walking though - and when my folks moved to the North West, access to Snowdonia and the Lakes made this a regular thing. At Uni, Boyfriend (now Husband) introduced me to swimming and this opened my eyes to the fact that I might not be utterly incapable of physical exercise. We continued regular walking up until his ankles gave out and we swam regularly. I tried aerobics for the first time in the canteen at work in 1999. I started jogging in 2000 (I think!). Mountain biking - 2004. So quite a late starter - and it's made me quite passionate about convincing kids and adults that yes, we can do stuff. It's not the winning that matters - or even the competence. What does matter is squeezing more out of life through pushing ourselves to either enjoy physical activity for its own sake (e.g. mountain biking) or by getting our bodies into a state where we can do more stuff. Rant over.

No comments: