Thursday 8 November 2007

Fat Bird Kit Part 5 - the only handpump I can use

I have a terrible history with regards to putting air into tyres. Husband had to come & rescue me when I attempted to check the tyre pressure of a car - and managed to completely deflate one tyre and drive away from the pump - which necessitated changing tyre just to sort out the whole sorry mess. Don't know how to change a car tyre & have no intention of learning. I'm no better with bike pumps and lament the passing of the big old style pumps that reassuringly screwed into position. Have spent many an unhappy hour swearing at pumps..... don't think I'm cut out to be a bike mechanic. One day, I may confess that I'm not really sure how bike gears work - but as this would result in a life shortening explaination from Husband or M, I think I'll keep that one quiet for now.

Anyway, rising to a challenge, Husband researched pumps as he was convinced that I could be trained to use one - and much to my surprise, he succeeded - it's a very compact little Blackburn.

The only downside is that I keep on forgetting to transfer it from weekend bike rucksack (which has a water reservoir but little storage space) to my weekday bag. So if I get a puncture to/from work, I'll be walking.

One unexpected bonus is that flushed with my mechanical prowess with the handpump, I seem to have mastered our footpump....

Hey - one day, I may be able to change an inner tube unaided..... yeah right!

No comments: