Sunday 14 September 2008

Husband's Nemesis met & overcome...

There's a ride that has achieved infamy amongst Goldfish, Kitty, Husband and myself as Husband's Nemesis - it's a 34km route from the Rough Ride Guide South West from Winterbourne Gunner around Porton Down. We tried it a couple of years ago (Jan or Feb 2006?) and Husband was getting over a nasty chest infection. He looked grey as we made our way uphill but insisted on carrying on. Then his chain broke - we were relieved as he was looking increasingly ill & as we couldn't fix the chain on the trail, I headed back to the car with him. Hence, Husband's Nemesis!

We've been waiting for a good time to try it again - and as today was dry (as was yesterday), we figured the chalk shouldn't be too slidey. And we had the time available!

Just me, Goldfish & Husband. All the way around, we assessed the Rough Guide's description of the route as fast & free draining - still plently of claggy & boggy bits! It wasn't quite as dry as we hoped either and I chickened out of riding down White Shoot Hill (pictured here) as the chalk was horribly slippery. Tree roots were also very slidey and I came off towards the start of the ride.

Very few gates on the ride until the end (Husband & Goldfish are competing for the title of Imperial Gate Monkey atm). No punctures & not too many mishaps - just my tumble & Goldfish having a few issues with his legs.

I wouldn't say the ride was easy, but I enjoyed being able to push myself a little more than usual and felt that we are all a notch up in fitness compared to 2 years ago.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

It was March 2007. That view of Whiteshoot Hill looks very familiar: http://kittystitch.blogspot.com/2007/03/not-much-stitching.html

I chickened it too (both feet on ground and lots of brake pad wear). I used the excuse to take a photo to put off the inevitable descent.