Saturday 27 September 2008

Fat Bird’s Guide to Exercise – Cycling to work in BST

More and more people are cycling to work now. If you’re thinking about it & haven’t cycled for a while, I recommend starting now before the clocks change so that you can hone your skills and build traffic confidence before facing pedalling in the dark.

I’ll do a separate write up for winter commuting as it expands the kit list considerably.

I have a pretty good route – about half is off road and only 1 hill. I’m bad at observing “Cyclists Dismount” signs which I interpret as “pedestrians have right of way – be extra considerate”. There’s only one red light that I sometimes jump – but only coz the sensor doesn’t pick up my bike! On a commute, it's important to be lovely to everybody you pass as you're likely to pass them again tomorrow - and you don't want bad karma....
Facilities at work are pretty good for me – locked, covered bike shed, showers and towel loan. My work bike is Husband’s first mountain bike with road tyres & mudguards added – plus many lights.

Have I done it? Yup – currently my most frequent form of exercise.
Sociability? 2/5 – kind of sociable – often get chatting to a colleague whilst locking up bike & occasionally bump into B or Goldfish on my way home.
Convenience? 4/5 – My commute is only 3.5 miles and due to heavy traffic, I can pedal the route as quickly as driving – only additional time is showering & changing.
Calories per 5 mins: 50 for me. However, as it replaces a drive, dividing total calories by the extra time spent getting changed etc makes it a 200 calories per 5 minutes result!
Fun Factor? 5/5 on a sunny day. Goes down a bit when pouring with rain.

Pros:
· Stress relief – I can really notice the difference in my mood when I drive versus cycling.
· Seeing more of my neighbourhood.
· It’s integrated into my routine so it’s easier to keep up than, say, going to the gym. Rather than seething with road rage, I get to burn calories! As it replaces a car commute, it’s turned sitting on my bum time into exercise time.
· No issues with parking.
· Toned legs!
· Smug self satisfaction at saving the planet single handed....

Cons:
· Traffic – drivers are great at not seeing me, overtaking me too closely....
· I’m not great at manoeuvring into tights in the shower room at work! I tend to choose clothes for work that aren’t too heavy (no knee length boots) and that don’t need ironing!
· Difficult to transport big stuff.
· Getting past teenagers on paths can be stressful – I have been hit by a flour bomb, but to be honest, 99% of the time it’s fine.
· Pre planning is required to get to off site meetings.

Kit:
· A bike! Good idea to borrow one to start with rather than buy something you end up not using that much. Many types to choose from – I like mountain bikes or hybrids coz of the upright traffic viewing riding position. However, road tyres make pedalling easier than knobblies & so far, the armadillo reinforced tyres I use have protected my tubes from punctures.
· Additional kit – lock, helmet, something to carry work stuff in. A and C both use panniers, I like my Crumpler bag. Bags/panniers seems to be an area where the more you spend, the better the quality and as you don't want to be changing into soggy clothes when you get to work, probably worth spending!
· I also wear gloves and take a waterproof jacket. As I get changed & showered at work, I wear similar gear as for mountain biking – breathable t-shirt, sports bra, cycling shorts, skirt, trainers, buff.
· I am really good at delegating bike maintenance to Husband – who does a great job! I don’t even carry a pump as my commute is so short – longer and I would be taking inner tube/pump/multitool.
· I don’t cycle with my ipod as I like to be able to hear the cars who haven’t seen me.

Other Cyclists:
Seems to be becoming ever more popular. C started riding to work a few months ago on a fab new bike funded by a bike to work scheme. A’s also been riding to work more this summer. Both of them have a much longer commute than me – and both have the weight & stress of transporting laptops. G has my former hybrid & is putting it to good use for her commute. Goldfish does a cycling sandwich on a home made single speed with a train journey in the middle.

Resources:
· Your employer – mine provides showers, towels, a covered locked bike shed, training sessions and free lights/reflective stuff. They are also looking into the tax free bike purchase scheme.
· Staring at a local OS map can pay dividends – find new routes.
· Sustrans website can also help to identify routes.
· I regularly think about joining CTC – good lobbying plus membership included personal liability insurance. Must do that....

Big Mac Index: 50 minutes

No comments: