Wednesday 27 August 2008

Fat Bird’s Guide to Exercise – Running on a Treadmill

Treadmills get a bad press. OK, so they can be dull compared to running outside, but they form a key part of my (and many others’) exercise regimes. Being inside in the dry is a huge plus! I find that the treadmill is a great tool for intervals, and being in a gym, it’s easy to combine with other activities.


Boredom is an issue - feeling like a hamster on a wheel! My gym has TVs & headphones – I find that Hollyoaks requires a level of concentration that suits running! I find it impossible to read a magazine whilst running – too much bouncing – so it’s TV, podcast and/or music.



I used to travel for work & the views I would get of the cities I was lucky to visit made the treadmill session much more interesting. In Hong Kong, watching black eared kites soar around the skyscrapers or watching the Star Ferry work its way to/from Kowloon depending on which hotel I was staying in. In Shanghai, watching cargo boats on the Hangpu River and seeing the city lit up at night (always looked better than in the smoggy grey day).



Top tips:

· If it’s not your usual gym, don’t expect that the treadmill will be identical – and your performance may also be different.
· Although treadmills are great for benchmarking, be careful on how quickly you increase the intensity or extent of your routine – little by little...
· Walking’s a good warm up & cool down - it's not compulsory to run!




Have I done it?
Yup. I use the treadmill as a key part of my running.
Sociability?
1/5 – Not really sure how it could be sociable.
Convenience?
2/5 – Unless you have one, a trip to the gym is required. But it is weather proof. And I’m yet to find a hotel gym that doesn’t have one (apart from a dodgy weights only one in Kielce)
Calories per 5 mins:
70-80 calories (based on my weight & speeds for my interval sessions), 460 for a 30min run
Fun Factor?
1/5 – The only fun is generated by whatever boredom alleviation tool you choose.
Big Mac Index
Under 33 minutes.

Pros:
· Weatherproof.
· Most gyms have one!
· Great for benchmarking and pacing – how fast did you run 1km?
· Good for first sessions post injury as it is more controlled than running outside with no obstacles.
· You can walk or run, stay on the flat, go up a hill, do intervals.....
Cons:
· Boredom.
· Having to join a gym to use one – cost, getting there & junk mail!
· For a simple machine, controls can be v.complicated & there’s not always similarities between brands.
· Still high impact.
· Treadmills tend to be the second most popular machines at my gym – so trying to get on one in the Monday evening peak can be tricky.



Kit:
· Running shoes – although the easier terrain may mean that you can delay investing until you are sure you are running enough to justify the expense.
· Sports bra – just as essential as for running outside.
· Headphones and/or MP3 player (my lovely shuffle is shown here) loaded with tunes or podcasts.




Other Treadmill Runners:
· I see AS at the gym fairly frequently, pounding along with his Coventry FC shirt on.



Resources:
· Runners World magazine & website
· “Running Made Easy” – Susie Whalley and Lisa Jackson

No comments: