Monday 24 March 2008

Easter in Snowdonia

I've just got back from Wales - spent Easter weekend close to Dolgellau, mountain biking. I had a 2 day women only skills course so I was really chuffed when M & A agreed to join us as it meant Husband had company whilst I did my training. Especially as I know that A has a mountain of embroidery work to do for her course.



Thursday - got to the log cabin that was our base for the weekend. Pleasantly surprised at how solid/cozy/warm it was - much closer to being a cottage than a caravan.


Friday - got to the B&B where Snowbikers are based and met the 3 others on the course - C & E who are mother & daughter - and both are keen triathletes, and R - a recent convert to mountain biking from Hampshire. G was our instructor & we covered so much just in the B&B's carpark & driveway! Basics on gear changing, establishing balance positioning and braking, then lots on slow speed and balance - trackstands & ratcheting. I was truly rubbish at tight corners (very similar to my motorbiking rubbishness). One of the things that G demonstrated well was how much extra stability you have at speed compared to at slow pace.


Lunch in their warm & dry kitchen - very welcome as we'd had hail, sleet and rain throughout the morning.

In the afternoon, we went out to try out our new skills on a 13km cross country route - it was great to feel more confident, especially downhill. Some useful tips on getting up hills too. I was impressed that Husband was given a mug of tea whilst waiting for us to get back. He'd spent the day at Coed y Brenin with M. Got back - A had made an amazing giant hot cross bun!


Saturday - more training at the B&B in the morning - revisiting the balance exercises from Friday then working on how to deal with ramps & drop offs, finishing with manuals and wheelies. In the afternoon, we went to Coed y Brenin where we did Bugsy, Uncle Fester & Dreamtime with G's expert guidance - I think I'm going to have his voice ringing in my ears on many future rides - esp "pedal, pedal, pedal", "control, roll, control". Husband, M & A went to Barmouth via the Mawdach cycle trail that uses an old railway line along the river estuary.

Sunday - I was very keen to try out my new skills so did the 15km Climachx trail with Husband & M. Really chuffed on how much easier I found the red rated stretches of single track - I now know when I've done something right or wrong! And although I'm still shaking with fear, I can get past that now (lots of pep talking to myself!). However, the final black descent was way beyond me - M & I both used our bikes as handbags for several stretches! Husband did brilliantly - I'm more convinced he's a downhill bunny whereas M & I are more cross country.
I'm sure the course has helped me immensely. I think M & Husband can see the difference coz they are now discussing getting a group together to do it themselves.


Did a little walking too on Sunday - a 3 mile circuit from the cabin that took in the Victorian Torrent Walk. Moss coated woodland and rushing white water. We picked wild garlic leaves that went very well with the tapas starter A prepared.

Much less interesting - gym on Wed - good interval session on the treadmill, 10 mins on the x trainer and a couple of weights machines.

No comments: