Saturday 17 October 2009

Chocolate & subs for

I have strong feelings about chocolate - it's up there with ice cream and beer as something I feel my life would be much poorer without. The good stuff is always preferable - dark chocolate with reasonably high cocoa solids and a depth of flavour - well demonstrated by Montezuma's dark chocolate.
However, there are a few substitutes that form part of my chocolate intake.

Not shown here is my recent discovery of FairBreak wafers now merchandised perillously close to the coffee shop till at work. Something a bit kitkat like about them and not too bad on calories (110ish) and these have now replaced Freddos as main threat to my diet.

I share a liking for the Special K Bliss bars with Mum & Dad. Has to be the orange version - the raspberry one is too sweet, but I think my fondness for marmalade also plays a part. The dark chocolate base is just about sufficient for a cocoa hit.

I've included a recent discovery here - Waitrose gave me a voucher for a free pack of macaroons - smart marketing as I've failed to avoid them since. As with the Bliss bars, just enough dark chocolate to matter.

Combining 2 of my loves has potential. Beer flavoured icecream may not be a wonderful thing, but I love chocolate icecream. Skinny Cow bars are fabulous - fewer calories than many yoghurts & infinitely more dessert like in my warped opinion. Only hitch is that my local Waitrose has switched from Triple Chocolate to a toothpaste flavoured abomination - and the stock of the revolting green version doesn't seem to be declining. So my fix can only be achieved on our occaisional ventures to a big Sainsburys.

Finally, I thought I was the only person in the world who liked nakd bars*. Bought a multipack on impulse, tried 1 and wasn't convinced at all. They claim to be uncooked and fruit packed (lots of dates) but there is cocoa there together with a unique earthy taste. 4 or 5 bars later, I was hooked! Very filling for a little calorie count, chocolatey enough to work and pretends to be virtuous. Again, the cocoa one is the only one I like. I have witnessed many (OK, Husband and Goldfish) be suckered in by the brand name only to be hugely disappointed & not sure that they are really food. So I was surprised to hear somebody not me extol their tastiness and chocolateyness - HC from running. I am no longer alone....

* = this logic is clearly flawed as Waitrose continue to stock them & I'm sure that my purchasing alone wouldn't justify their shelf space.

2 comments:

Amy Cousins said...

Hello Gin,

How are you? I work with Traidcraft, and I'm just getting in touch with regards to a broken link on your site. I can't quite find an email address to contact you directly, but if you were to email me at amy.cousins@silverbean.com I'd be happy to offer an alternative Traidcraft link so we can amend this! I hope I hear from you soon but, until then, all the best for the new year and take care.

Kind Regards,

Amy

Amy Cousins said...

Hi Gin,

I'm just getting in touch to follow up on my previous message. Have you had a moment to look into this? Do let me know if you have any problems.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Amy