Monday 25 May 2009

Sunny Bank Holiday Weekend - a rarity!

More glorious sunshine - not natural for a UK bank holiday weekend - which made finding fun stuff to do with in-laws even easier than usual!

Went to Kew yesterday for the first time in years - I wanted to try the new treetop walk - but it was the older favourites that grabbed my attention. The little water lily house, orchids in the Princess of Wales glasshouse, looking at the Victorian Temperate House & Palm House from the balconies - all good stuff. The site's a mile across and I was so glad that both me & my Fabulous Mother In Law had gone for shoes we could walk forever in. Steps too - up to the balconies and up the treetop walk. Weirdest moment was when I saw a parakeet from the treetops. Not seeing it - I know that they now inhabit Richmond Park which isn't too far from Kew - but it was surprising that I didn't feel surprised (OK, this may not make sense!). I think it's down to seeing so many exotic plants, I didn't find spotting an exotic bird weird. Anyway, my shoulders are a little pink - not too bad. Husband is able to walk today - a pleasant surprise after giving his ankles so much walking.


More sunshine today, so we went to Milkham where Fabulous in Laws headed off for a 6 mile stomp, whilst Husband & I did Kitty's route on the bikes. I panicked at bike-horse interfaces - especially at the underpass where we had to weave around them. Did my best to keep my self where horses could see me & kept talking to 'em! So many foals in the Forest. Project Puncture continued at Burley - Husband had got too far ahead of me to realise I'd stopped. Got the tyre off, found the puncture, cleared tyre - and then remembered that I'd forgotten to pack a repair kit. So I waited for a bit - hey it was sunny. Fabulous In Laws had a good time on their wander too.

WRN sufffered from a sunny day today - nobody for the standard group so I helped Husband very briefly at the allotment. Just L for the intermediate group. We tried out the Itchen Way - glorious, and not boggy!

No comments: