Monday 1 December 2008

Swimming not drowning

I had another attempt at swimming last night. Again, I didn't even count lengths & just focussed on my breathing - and it went OK. I'm getting better at sorting out anti-drowning strategies (e.g. closing my mouth as I come out of water to breathe seems to help avoid swallowing half the pool). Husband joined me in the slow lane after he'd pelted his 50 lengths for a spot of coaching - just us left in the lane which was convenient.


First task was to convince me that I am going faster than I think. I can't check this alone as I don't have prescription goggles (or surgically enhanced eyesight!) and can't read the clock. I did the 20m length in:

  • 37 seconds swimming with my old head out of water style (and this lenght took the most effort)
  • 35 seconds swimming with head dipping in & out every stroke

Second task was to get me to pull & breathe before my glide slowed - so more than focussing on the breathing alone:

  • 30 seconds! Husband maintains a pace of 27 secs for his 50 lengths - so maybe there is hope for me - although atm, I don't think I could keep this up.

I'm very lucky to be married to a good swimmer. I think he may have been a sea otter in a former life (love of shellfish - check, good at swimming - check, plays constantly in the water - check, covered in dense lush fur - check......).

Gym on Saturday - slow run, but did my 30mins. 30 mins x trainer too. No cycling on Sunday as I was doing the second half of the St Johns first aid course.

Cycled to work today & regretted wearing just 2 layers - bitterly cold today.

No comments: