Sunday 24 January 2010

Challenging the little grey cells

Although I love cycling in the Forest, it's really not great for my pedalling skills as it's so easy! We knew that it would be muddy, but Husband and I opted for a route that extends the much-ridden Ellisfield HCC route over to Preston Candover to get our brains ticking again. And it was muddy. Much of the mud was clay on chalk that varies between ultra claggy and ultra slippery and I have to confess to much walking. Having said that, I also did enough to feel that I'd pushed myself.
3.5 hours to do 26.5km! Very grateful we didn't get any punctures as fixing them would have been very messy - and Husband made me go through a deep puddle repeatedly at the end so that tyres rather than mud would interface with our bike carrier.
I was surprised to still see a little snow around - as you can see from this picture. Snow damage was evident on many of the roads with new cracks & potholes.

Snow damaged roads yesterday too as my satnav took me down a very little lane en route to my nephew's 5th birthday party in a village hall Buckinghamshire. I didn't want to repeat Husband's experience so took it very slowly & chose a different route home later in the dark. Very proud of my nephew as he was beautifully behaved at his medieval themed party, looking cute in a crusader outfit. I can't count any exercise for Saturday - but I did make vast quantities of sandwiches!

No comments: