Monday 4 July 2011

A Day With Dirt Divas

Long time, no blog. And I miss it so I’m returning to the random ramblings of the Fat Bird world.

I’m such a chicken on my mountain bike – so much so that I needed to be chased up to book the course that Husband gave me last August for my birthday with Dirt Divas. Back to Basics, women only in Crowthorne Woods in Berkshire on Sunday. And I wasn’t alone in having my course gifted to me by a partner keen to get girlfriend/wife more confident on a bike.

Loved that we started off by learning how to get our bikes through a v gate – or into a bike shop – with dignity! Then it really was back to basics – some of which I knew, some of which was new to me. We were in small groups of 5 or 6 which felt about right. I hadn’t really twigged how much keeping the pedals flat affects balance – and how to move my weight over the bars when pedalling up hills. I did know – and already use - the thumbs trick for keeping the bars straight when pushing hard uphill. Probably the best bit was emphasising where we should be looking, which strangely isn’t at the ground just in front of the bike...

After lunch, we got to put skills into practice on single track, taking turns to tag immediately behind our coach Jacqueline and getting feedback. She claimed to have eyes in the back of her helmet! My crimes are staring at the ground and locking my knees.

The terrain was mostly twisty forest stuff that flowed very nicely without many hills. We also got to play in a bit called the Quarry with some steep descents – not my favourite kind of thing, but actually got to enjoy them. The trick is focusing, looking for and look at the exit point.

Only down point for me was forgetting any sunscreen and the very dull drive home.

So, the test will be whether my riding improves! I need to get on some single track soon or I’m worried I’ll forget it all.

No comments: