Tuesday 23 March 2010

Brecon Beacons Weekend 3

Much better weather on Sunday and we tried out a blue route from the National Park's Mountain Bike leaflet collection/book thing.

Supposedly 24km, but I clocked it at 20km and from the National Park Visitor Centre near Brecon. Glorious views - as you can see! And plenty of red kites - I know I'm getting accustomed to seeing them now whenever I go to Baby Sister's in Bucks, but still exciting.
We watched a shepherd & dog herding sheep for a bit - although I've never heard anyone on One Man & His Dog yell "will you f***ing come by??".

The route was a good mix with challenging descents that beat me (and one even beat Husband) and uphills where the rocks made pedalling almost impossible in places. Across open moorland and rocky tracks. The road bits were quiet, pretty lanes. The best bit was the final descent, whizzing across the side of a hill (not sure if it qualified as a mountain!). Somehow, I got 3 punctures in one wheel, but all so slow that they didn't materialise until we got home.
We finished in the tea shop with a Black Beef Pie Challenge, undoing any calorific deficit from the ride.

We took it easy at running last night as it's the Eastleigh 10K on Sunday. I could still feel Sunday's ride though!

No comments: