Sunday 11 April 2010

Practise ride done

Next month, I'm doing one of my top 40 - the South Downs Way on my bike. A dodgy tummy meant that I failed to do this in 2008 over 3 days - so this time I'm aiming to do this in 2.... However, this time, it's with vehicle support - including a meat wagon! Goldfish is doing it too and although it's a bit late for serious training, we did a practise route today: 69.13km as a figure of 8 route from Cheesefoot Head, completed in about 5 1/2 hours including stopping time. M joined us for the first and larger loop. We were moaning about it being chilly to start, but all divested layers after we'd been riding for an hour or two.
Very impressed that Goldfish managed to fix a broken chain on the hoof - and relieved that this was the only bike problem on the way. The tracks were very dry, making this a comparatively easy ride.
Today's picture reflects my C&G exam that I'm doing tomorrow - the tutor asked me to send him a photo of traditional Hampshire brick & flint construction as he's not sure about its thermal efficiency!
I was tired at the end, but felt that I could have carried on - good as the SDW days will be a bit longer. Not so good was a cramped thigh later when crouching to plant out beetroot seedlings - I may have to go down the electrolyte drink on the trip for the first time.
Skating yesterday with G, SE and the F clan who were en route between sailing and the Forest of Dean. Enjoyed both that & going on with G & SE to meet Z for an average lunch in a beautiful location in Lee on Solent.
Not much else to report this week apart from running on Tuesday with WRN, Body Combat on Wed and about 90mins walking on Thursday - actually, that's not so shoddy!
Big D was sent on holiday for Friday & Saturday (cooking for guests is not compatible) but is back today. But as I burned at least 2,700 calories on the pedal, I'm eating buckets!

No comments: