Thursday 3 September 2009

Soggy Wednesday

Yesterday was the first time in ages that I got thoroughly drenched whilst pedalling home. I was in a better position than my colleague B who'd forgotten his waterproof trousers - however, my smugness was repaid by karma as I got even wetter at the gym entrance later on (canopy suddenly off loaded big amount of water onto me - so I got to do Body Combat wearing very wet cotton leggings - nice!).

I haven't rambled about kit for a while - so here goes - essential cycling wet weather gear:
  • Waterproof socks.
  • Waterproof overtrousers. I dont bother for showers or drizzle, but these make a big difference when it's pouring.
  • Bicycle clip to prevent overtrouser/chain interaction. I never have one and have been using a reflective snap on band instead which performs quite well. None with me yesterday so I tucked overtrousers into socks - not a good move as water then trickled down the top of the sock....
  • Waterproof bag. My Crumpler is pretty good at keeping my office clothes dry, but it struggles a little with very heavy rain and puddle spray, hence:
  • Carrier bag(s). Anything I don't want to get damp gets an extra barrier.
  • Wateproof jacket - ideally with zip pockets so I'm not scrabbling in my bag for keys etc, getting contents of bag unecessarily soggy.

Shoes were still wet this morning as were my gloves (my waterproof ones are winter only) so have switched to drier alternatives for the day.

No comments: