Thursday 27 December 2007

Festive Offsetting

That's offsetting overindulgence in food & booze as opposed to offsetting our considerable carbon emmisions this year....

We headed off to the Welsh borders on Thursday 21st to see Brother-in-Law & family. Had a wander on Friday around the Hoffman Kiln at Llanymynech -
an amazing 150' long cloister like structure built in 1898 to extract lime from the local rocks. I ran mini races with our nephews J & B - I have to exert a little effort now to keep up with 7 year old J. His throwing & catching is already way ahead of my abilities!

Headed up to Corbridge later that day to my parents'. Short 3 mile walk on Saturday afternoon
with Husband that finished in the dark following the line of Hadrian's Wall.

On Sunday, we did a mountain bike route on Blanchland Moor - 26.6K with challenging singletrack sections, a killer hill and lots of ice. It added different dimensions to our riding to decide whether to ride over sheet ice (would it take the weight, short enough to keep at least 1 tyre clear etc). I managed to fall over rather than off - slipped whilst gingerly carrying my bike
down a steep slope covered in ice - I have a big bruise on my arm to show for that! Loved the challenge of the ride but I'd like to try it again in the summer.

Short walk with Dad, Husband and Baby Sister's family on Christmas Eve. Dad's walking has been hampered badly this year by knee problems and a hernia so it was just a short on road wander. 2 year old nephew J was fascinated by the inquisitive goats we saw.

I went running with Middle Sister later - 4.4K around the village - good natter as well as a much needed breath of air.

Road ride on Christmas Morning with Middle BIL and Husband - Hexham/Acomb/Fawcet Hill - great start to the day with views up the valley. When we got back, I went running with Middle Sister again - 4K this time along the Tyne where we saw a sparrowhawk. I was feeling very sniffy afterwards & this has now morphed into a head cold. I think my nephew D had the same thing but he was much more poorly with scarily high temperatures.

And all this has probably done very little to offset the vast quantities I ate/drank!

Rode to work today - not sure I'm going to make the gym later on as I've been sneezing & producing snot in vast quantities....

No comments: